Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back To School


September is here and I'm gearing up for "back to school". School starts on the 8th, but I've already spent the last two days in training sessions and then tomorrow will be a meeting at the school with my new coworkers & supervisor. I haven't actually been in this school yet so it should be interesting. I hear there are no outside windows, I'm a little nervous about that as I like natural light.. Oh well what can you do? I found out that it will just be me and my supervisor all morning (I start after the before school part of the program has finished) and we only have 4 kindergartens including the girl I'm with. So my supervisor has 3 kids and I have 1. I think it will be a big change from the 17 I'm used to. It might be nice, maybe quieter who knows?

Sept 7th we're supposed to have an intake meeting with the little girl I'm working with and her family. I hear they are immigrants (don't know when they immigrated though) and I'm not sure how strong their English is. Hopefully there won't be too much of a divide. Her therapists should be there too, physio and SLP I'm guessing, and I know our/her OT from the CNIB wants to be there too. I've already reviewed the material I got from the course I took in February on working with and parenting the child who is visually impaired. I even printed out most of the resources, and I've put together a binder, sort of a daily journal thing to keep track of everything.

In my daily journal for the little girl I had C create me a template page where I can keep track of activities, feeding, toileting, and other notes and another page to track our goals for the month and the activities suggested by the therapists. I know she has a lot of issues to work on, but I am hoping that we will be able to meet at least some of those goals together this year, and I'm going to be organized and ready to support her in her learning. I also created a binder for Skyler, for his goals and activities and to basically use as his "Learning portfolio". Since we are homeschooling him, the best way to keep track of his achievements is a portfolio showcasing his work, and journaling our activities and what kinds of things he learns from these activities.

Skyler had an appointment with his Physiotherapist today, we've been picked back up and are off the waiting list now. She took a good look at his hips, moving them in the sockets, pressing on his legs, bending them this way and that. He amazingly enough did not make a sound. He played with a shaker, and actually smiled/giggled at times while she did her thing. Her observations: his hips seem fine. He has great range of motion in his hips and legs. She didn't seem worried about it, but suggested we get the x-ray done anyway to make sure that all is well inside. On Friday we'll have his appointment with his OT who I imagine will probably say the same thing. I'm glad the PT didn't seem alarmed and said his hips seem to be great. That's a bit of a relief.

4 comments:

jennohara said...

that's such great news! Such a relief for you, I'm sure!

Stacie said...

I LOVE that picture of Skyler. He looks like a little boy!

Your new position sounds challenging. You're going to do an amazing job.

Lopez Family said...

Hey! i apologize i just saw your comment on my blog- obviously i haven't been checking lately! Skylar looks so grown up cute- love the outfit! i am so glad to hear that you guys are doing so great! Congratulations on the baby- its such a blessing! Thanks for the love and support!

CLC said...

Love the picture! I just want to squeeze him, he looks so happy!