Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Terrible Twos

The terrible twos it would seem, are indeed quite terrible. Mister has developed quite a temper to go along with his impatience and demanding nature. He wants everything the way he wants it and he wants it now! I know this is supposedly normal. I made the mistake of watching a video of N (the girl I used to nanny for) when she was his age. In the video I ask her "what do you want honey?" and she clearly says "apple sauce" I hand her the apple sauce and she says "no. yuck. want cheese please" Then I give her cheese and she asks for a bun. A big bun. Her words are so clear. She understands everything I ask her. I look at Skyler and I only wish he were somewhere near that.. But he is not and we have to make do with pointing and SCREAMING and sometimes hitting. Don't get me wrong, I don't take him for granted. We get by well enough, I try to avert his attention before frustration and screaming begin. Which sometimes works, other times it does not.

He is by far the most beautiful creature I've ever laid eyes on, and his mystery and wonder envelopes me every day. I love him so much it hurts. He astounds me with all the new things he's doing. That independence kick though, I tell you I'm doing my very best to encourage it all while trying to keep him safe. Just today I taught him how to zip and unzip zippers. Just in time for winter.. Not sure if this is an awesome thing or a not so great idea. When we came back in from outside he went to zip/unzip my hoodie and was in great distress when he realized I had taken it off and was only wearing a normal shirt. We spent a good 5-10 minutes of him screaming and trying to rip my shirt while I gently but firmly held his hands and tried to convince him that it wasn't the end of the world and it's okay to not always get what you want, but not okay to hit and rip people's clothes.

As December draws nearer I'm definitely feeling the urge to be at home and take care of my family. I've been nesting a bit too I guess. I've never been much of a housewife but lately I find myself in the kitchen doing dishes, and cooking meals & baking and sometimes even making lunches for everyone for the next day. And the weirdest part is I don't seem to mind it. I haven't been spending as much time online. It seems to be such a time suck. I'm spending a lot more time just being with Skyler one on one, following him around, singing with him, reading to him, playing outside. It's not that we didn't spend time together before, but I guess the quality and quantity have increased.

This Friday is his birthday, we're having some people over on Saturday including one of Skyler's friends from nursery at church. I'm hoping it all goes well. I'm excited to bake his cupcakes. There will be lots of them I'm sure. I'm going to make sure he helps me, because he can't not help me anymore. If I'm somewhere doing something he needs to be right there supervising or helping out. Which is great, he's learning so much and he feels involved with what we're doing.

Yesterday I took him outside and when we got out I realized that in the rush we had forgotten his mittens.. So I pulled mine out of my pocket and stuck them on him, and this is the ensuing hilarity that had us both giggling for a while:

3 comments:

jennohara said...

Haha love the picture!
Hanna's definitely having "terible two's" episodes too. Eventually, they WILL pass. :-D

Stacie said...

Just when I thought two was bad, two and a half crept up on me *sigh*. Oh the independence. "LANEY DO IT!" It requires so.much.patience.

I hope that Sky's birthday party this Saturday goes well. I bet he'll have so much fun.

Ashley's Mom said...

Love, love, love the picture!

What I tell myself when my kids are being difficult - whatever the difficult means at that particular age - is that it is their job to be difficult. That is how they learn.

When I view it as their job, I stop taking it personally, and I, at least, am less stressed.


For example, it is my teenagers' job to be defiant at times and attempt some crazy, reckless things at times. I did it at their age. And through the results, I learned...

Sometimes I just wish they wouldn't do their jobs so well :)