Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Things People Say

Sometimes something will get under my skin.. Like this evening. I spoke to a family member today, an older person let's say, around 84. Anyway she asked me how Skyler was and C and everyone and mentioned getting some expensive present for Skyler for Christmas, and then asked how my pregnancy was going. I told her all was good, everything on the ultrasound looked good, etc. She said to me "Oh that's good, you couldn't handle another disappointment." Huh? First of all you don't know what I can handle, if I was worried about having another special needs child I wouldn't have planned to have this baby. Secondly there are a lot of words I would use to describe my son, and I don't think she was trying to be malicious or anything, but "disappointment" is not how I would describe my child..

When I look into this little person's (usually crossed) eyes, I see my entire world! I see myself, I see my husband, I see most importantly my son. The little person he is, the person he will one day become. I see everything that's right in the world, an innocent wonderful little person who has so much love to give and receive. So many things he can do. He is never a disappointment. Nor will he ever be, no matter what mistakes he makes or any bad choices in his life.

Skyler you are everything I ever hoped you would be, and so so so much more. I can't imagine life without you, exactly who you are, exactly the way you are. No matter what anyone else thinks or says. I hope you always remember that.

4 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

I'm so very sorry. Neither you, nor your wonderful, vibrant, clever, delightful and adventerous son deserved that.

He is exactly as he should be. There's never anything disappointing in a miracle.

jennohara said...

UGH! I totally get it. When we found out we were expecting again, my gramma-in-law says "oh. congrats i guess. we'll still love it if it ends up like hanna."
I was pissed to say the least. Like you said, if we were worried about having another special needs child, we wouldn't have planned to have another! People dont think before they talk sometimes. Sky is perfect. (Like you dont know already)

Ya Chun said...

I 'hope' she was referring to your miscarriage, not sweet Sky.

chis4kids said...

i am very sorry. at least the next time u know what ur dealing with when it comes to this lady....if she ever does this in front of him use that as a opportunity to show ur son how strong u are... by setting boundries... i can tell u now this lady will probably do it again.