Thursday, March 10, 2011

2 Weeks (almost)

We went for Adriel's two week check up today even though he is not quite 2 weeks yet (on Saturday he will be). The pediatrician looked at the weight on the chart and said "wow, you're breastfeeding? You must have a great milk supply". He's 8 pounds 11 ounces, meaning he's gained over a pound since birth. Also he lost weight in the first two days like all babies do, so he's gained a fair bit since he was born. The doctor said he's pleased when a baby has managed to gain back the weight they lost right after birth, nevermind gain an entire pound. He told me to continue breastfeeding exclusively, and that Adriel looks great, he's healthy! I couldn't be happier. Aside from feeling a bit sad about missing out on Skyler's first few months I'm really very elated.

I've adjusted to having two kids a lot faster and easier than I thought I would. At first I was worried about C going back to work so soon, but we've managed quite well. Yesterday I got two loads of laundry done, and managed to give Skyler a bath. Sometimes the yelling competitions can be a headache, but for the most part Skyler is a great big brother who loves to kiss his baby and tell us about his eyes and ears and other little parts. I do spend a lot of time with baby at the boob, he loves to eat, which is fantastic. I feel bad though not being able to jump up and tend to Skyler whenever he wants, but he is a very independent two year old so he doesn't seem to mind much when I'm busy with the baby. Plus I make a point of spending time with Skyler when Adriel is asleep, we cuddle and we read stories and paint pictures. He doesn't seem to be jealous at all either which is amazing I think.

I don't have much to complain about really. I don't get much sleep, but that's okay I'm managing. I try to nap when the babies are both asleep (hard to get them both to sleep at the same time though!) and C does get up with Skyler at night, (if/when he wakes) if I kick him hard enough (just kidding it's more of a gentle poke or twelve). Anyway I wish I had a picture of Skyler kissing Adriel, because he does it a lot, but I never seem to have a camera around. I think mine is hiding in one of my pockets somewhere.

No comments: