Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Keeping Afloat

Oh my, where have I been? Everywhere it seems. Skyler had swimming class today and though he cried through his last two classes without letting up this one was different. I let him walk all the way from the change room to the pool (last time daddy carried him because he pinched his finger and was crying). We got to the pool with 15 minutes before his class. He stopped a few feet away from the pool and when I suggested he come into the water he started to whine. So I thought that's alright we have lots of time and I let him stand there. I stepped into the water (it's a heated, indoor kiddie pool with a very very gradual ramp to get in on the shallow side) and he stood and watched. After a few minutes he was ready to come a bit closer and watch. I couple minutes after that I managed to get him to sit at the edge of the pool with his feet in the water touching the bottom of the pool. He splashed and kicked for a bit and smiled.

Then the instructor came and started the class, I signed him in and then I managed to get him to walk into the water with me, he didn't want to go all the way in to where his class mates were so we stood back a bit near the entrance while they sang some songs. He sang and clapped with them and was really into it this time. I even managed to get him to hang on to me and go into the deep end with the other kids. This time it was great, not a single tear and we got to do what the rest of the class was doing too. And he even went down the slide!

After class we came home and he took a nap then we spent the rest of the afternoon outside playing at the park. He absolutely loves the seesaw and ever since he got to play on one of those little play structures at preschool he loves the slide too. So we had a nice afternoon outside doing that. Even though it was only 5 degrees we spent a good couple hours out there, until I noticed some creepy dude staring out his window at us. And this wasn't just casual glancing. I mean this guy was standing at his window holding his curtain and watching our every move. That's when I decided it was time to go in. Talk about disturbing.

Skyler is gaining independence left right and center, and when he can't do something he gets extremely frustrated. But he is becoming such a little person, I love when he talks. Today he helped me make rice for dinner, and wiped (or attempted to anyway) the baby when we changed his diaper. He is becoming a little bit jealous, but he still does love the baby and he kisses him and his newest thing with the baby is "tiny hands, tiny hands.. high five!" which always makes me laugh.

Speaking of the chubbins. He's almost 13 pounds already! At least according to our home scale, who knows how accurate that is. Anyway he's huge. Skyler was only 14 pounds at one year, and this little guy isn't even two months yet. I put him in a sleeper that Skyler was wearing at 18 months and it pretty much fit him. The sleeves were just a tiny bit too long.

We've started trying to save for a down payment on a house. I'm so tired of living in an apartment. The kids need a yard to play in and I need a place where I can paint my own walls and that kind of thing. I'm attempting to use up my stash of yarn and make a little bit of extra cash to put away by making baby hats. They're pretty cute if I do say so myself. Hopefully others will think so too.

Anyway it's 1am and I'm beyond exhausted. I'll try to write again soon if I get a chance.

2 comments:

jennohara said...

YAY! So glad Skyler liked the swim class this time! He sounds like such a little character. Glad the baby's doing so well too! :)
You should think about opening an Etsy store to sell your hats and things. I bet you'd get lots of buyers! Good luck!

Stacie said...

I'm glad that you're keeping afloat and everything is going well.