Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Waiting..


So the ER docs think it could be infantile spasms which is what I figured (a rare form of seizures that are worse than your typical kind) so they said they'd send a report on over to Skyler's neurologist. I call Skyler's neuro and the receptionist says no, ER docs can't refer you over. You need to go to your pediatrician and have him refer you and then wait while we assess his priority. Lovely. At least the ER doc did manage to get us an EEG, too bad it's in September. For now I am being hopeful. He hasn't had any more episodes like he did that day. There has been shaking/tremors while feeding and falling asleep but they're brief and he seems to stop when I touch him. So I am taking that as a good sign and telling myself he is fine so I can keep my sanity until the EEG.

In other news, my homeschooling motivation is in full force. I'm really happy with our decision especially since his OT with the CNIB told us that he won't receive services in school. His vision is bad but not bad enough for him to get help, which as she tells us is the worst situation. Those kids end up struggling because they can see, but not well enough. At home he'll have all the support he needs and we can take it slow, use a magnifier, make things large print, take breaks. Whatever we have to do. The one on one time will be invaluable I am sure. So right now I am deciding on books that we need to have. We're not going to be using any set curriculum. I find them too limiting, and I am horrible at following a day to day plan. I am more of a go with the flow person.

Instead we'll have access to several curriculums, as well as workbooks that have everything we need to know for each grade level (and they're Canadian too). I'm basing our homeschooling on the idea that learning should be fun and engaging. If you enjoy it you are much more likely to remember what you learn. I'm thinking we will let the kids decide what they want to learn about for the most part, with a bit of the mandatory stuff thrown in so they keep up with their public schooled peers.

Today or tomorrow I am heading off to Chapters to find some books for our homeschool. We're going to be using the library a lot I am sure, but I think it's essential to have lots of good books around. So my question to you is, if you were being homeschooled or homeschooling your kid, what kind of books would you want to have at home?

2 comments:

jennohara said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Adriel.
I'm planning on homeschooling too, so let me know if you find any really helpful resources! Good luck!

Azaera said...

Ohh no. Lol you just asked the wrong question! I have a ton of stuff. Like there is no end to the amount of resources I have found. I will email you! :)