Sunday, December 28, 2008

Plateau

So he is 37 weeks now, and if he were developing normally he would be home. But he is not. He seems to have plateau'd (how the hell do you spell that) he's just desatting every once in a while, still isn't taking full feeds from anything but the tube. He has done it by bottle but only like twice. Still on nasal prongs. Still having trouble laying on his side. He is getting better and better at breastfeeding which is no surprise since he started out doing pretty well. But unfortunately I cannot be at the hospital all day long sitting there waiting to breastfeed him as much as I would like to. So he remains in the hospital, and everyday we watch more people take their babies home.

There was a 20 year old mom in our pod, her baby was across from ours diagonally. We started talking to her a week or two ago. It turned out her baby was the same gestation as mine pretty much, 32 weeks. Turns out she had to be flown in from a very small town that's very far from here. She had been staying in a guest house, all by herself. She spent all of her time at the hospital. Christmas day we took her out for lunch, and then boxing day we had her over for a nice homecooked meal. Just for a change from the hospital. She was a very nice girl, and it felt good to be able to connect with someone, especially someone who is trapped in an unfamiliar place, with her baby in the hospital, and completely alone on Christmas day. Her and her baby were discharged yesterday.

C is now on parental leave, which is great. It means I won't have to take the bus to work anymore. Apparently he can get a longer amount of time off work because the baby is in the hospital.

I've been researching which stroller to buy. We have a Peg Perego car seat that we were given, but I'm not sure I trust it. How am I supposed to know if it's been in a crash or not? I think I want to go with the Graco snug ride, and the Graco Vie4 stroller. My dad is supposed to be buying them for us sometime next month. Anyways I hope you all are doing well, I am going to try to get another hour of sleep before I have to pump again..

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh hon...one step forward, two steps back? Keep doing what you're doing and try to take care of yourself, too. We're here.

The Graco Snugride was what I was going to go with - it gets rave reviews in Baby Bargains for both safety and price. I ended up getting the Maxi-Cosi because I wanted the Quinny Zapp stroller for its very compact size and the two work together to be an infant stroller first.

Stacie said...

I'm sorry to hear that things are not moving along with Skyler just yet. Hopefully soon though.

You and C sound like such a sweet couple. Sky is lucky to have such wonderful parents waiting for him.

I hope you feel better soon. Colds suck. I have one too right now as well as the baby. Good times.

Becky said...

Go with the Snugride. The Snugride and the Chicco Keyfit have the highest raitings. (I've had 3 pregnancies to research this, lol!)

In the NICU I noticed that most parents had the Snugride because I think it works well for preemies. It was nice for us, and she still is very comfortable in it. We plan to keep her rearfacing until she's 18mo at least (if it's up to me haha) so we will get as much use out of it as we can. The Graco Safeseat goes up to 30lbs I think and we were going to get that but we didn't like any patterns.

I hope that you feel better soon too. I know how hard this is, but you can do it. Now we think back to the NICU and it's like a distant memory. This sounds crazy...but enjoy this time with him right now. Enjoy him being so tiny because it goes so quickly. He'll get there, I promise. The NICU nurse used to tell me, "All parents want their children to dance. Some kids just aren't ready to feel the rhythm yet."


BTW- I didn't get your email. Did you get mine?