Tuesday, May 4, 2010

New Diapers

So the potty training is going well. Skyler seems to be back to normal. He's been sleeping through the night mostly (though he is definitely teething I can see at least one tooth breaking the gums right now.) waking up around 4am here and there though. He's also eating more, but he whines at times because food hurts his gums. With the exception of how he is fed. He will no longer allow you to give him anything on a spoon or put food into his mouth. He has to pick up the food and feed himself. He's definitely increasing his independence.

Now back to potty training, he is still using the potty almost everyday. Most times he will do both 1 & 2 at the same time. He almost always does 2 if nothing else. Which is fantastic. Also we are almost out of size 4 diapers. We have a bag of size 5s left over from the baby shower, which I think we may try using. But running out of diapers has made me realize that we spend way too much on disposables, and that maybe it's time to reconsider our original plan. When I was pregnant with Sky, C and I had decided we would use cloth diapers, but then we got a ton of disposibles from the baby shower, and he was born preemie and there just wasn't a lot of time to figure it all out.

So now, fast forward 18 months I'm thinking of trying it out. The plan is to buy a couple of cloth diapers (two different kinds) and just give it a try for a few weeks. We'll use them during the day and use disposibles at night. That way we'll get a feel for whether or not we want to go full time cloth diapers or just part time. I like that it's better for the earth, better for baby's bottom, and honestly I think cloth diapers are just so much cuter than disposibles. They're a bit more work, but not as much as they used to be when I was a baby. There are a lot more options now. I think I found a couple that sound pretty enticing so far. There's a diaper store in my city I didn't even know about that specializes in cloth diapers. So I've already decided on the ones I want by looking at their website. The only problem is they are closed Mondays and Tuesdays so I have to wait until tomorrow to go pick them up. Sometimes I hate being impatient.

I know they're a bit pricey, and I will need inserts, but I plan on making those myself. Also they pretty much pay for themselves after a few months because that's less disposibles I have to buy each month. And my favourite part is that they can last for years, meaning I can use the same diapers with Skyler's (potential) siblings as I did with Skyler. So if we really like cloth diapering we can add to our collection and then not have to worry about buying more once we have the next baby. I can't wait until tomorrow. Wish me luck. :P

2 comments:

Becky said...

Yay for potty training! Lily is so funny everytime she passes the bathroom she sits on the potty just because. She also thinks ALL of her clothes have to come off (we started trying right before the bath) so we're trying to get her to understand that Mommy and Daddy don't take their clothes off to go. It could get kind of dicey if she takes all her clothes off in public!

I'm proud of you for making the switch to cloth diapers. I've already decided that's what I'm going to do with our next baby. It makes me sick to think about how many diapers we throw into the landfills. We didn't with Lily because we didn't have a washer and dryer where we were. Here we do. Next time around we're going to go cloth. You are right, deffinately a big upfront cost but it pays for itself over and over again over time.

Stacie said...

That's great that potty training is going well!

Laney is doing better too. She's gone #2 three times so far and #1 many times. It's a matter of catching them before the fact, which is SO hard sometimes. We're working on it though.

Good luck on the switch to cloth!