Sunday, July 18, 2010

20 Months

Tomorrow Skyler will be 20 months old. I'm excited, I can't believe he's going to be two in four months. That seems crazy. And he's still not walking on his own. I'm trying to be positive about it. It seems like he's heading towards it, but then, nothing ever happens he just keeps crawling and using the tables. And we keep getting asked (by family no less) "Is he walking yet??" It's starting to make me feel like I'm a bad parent. We've been working on the same exercises, the same activities suggested by the PT and the OT for months, and still nothing. It feels like I'm just not doing enough to help him trust himself to walk.

We have OT again tomorrow, I'm hoping to bring up the issue, again and see if there's anything new we can try. She has faith that he'll walk on his own soon. She doesn't want to bring in a walker or anything like that because he might become dependent on that and he seems to be so close to walking on his own. So I guess I just sit here, try to remind myself that he will do things in his own time on his own schedule and that's just the way it has to be. But sometimes, it's hard being the parent. I know I'm more upset about it than he is. He gets where he's going eventually even without walking so he doesn't seem to care much. I'm sure if I didn't have people breathing down my neck about when he's going to be walking I wouldn't care so much either. I'm just tired of explaining to people that he has no depth perception. They just keep asking anyway. Oh well, what can you do.

4 comments:

Karen said...

(((hugs)))

I know how hard it is to relax about it. You're a good mom and good moms want to make sure their kids are right where they're supposed to be developmentally. But I think that if I had his vision, I'd be pretty hesitant about walking, too! Crawling has all the advantages (if you're a toddler with poor distance vision) and far fewer risks.

Maybe you can take him to an area where crawling isn't the most pleasant thing? I'd think that walking on a rough or hard surface while wearing good shoes would be more fun than crawling in shorts. Maybe a gritty sidewalk or something like that. When mine were in the learning to walk stages, they'd walk on a sidewalk holding my hand (just one hand, not both) far more often than they'd do it inside on the smooth hardwood floors. And as they did that more and more, they'd start holding on less tightly each time.

jennohara said...

It sounds like the average visually impaired child takes much longer to walk. I know a little boy is now 7, and he didn't even crawl until he was 2. Walked at 3 and 1/2. Didn't talk until he was 3.
They say that 75% of what a baby learns comes from vision alone. I think we can expect a couple delays. Especially walking. I think it shows that he's very smart since he's so nervous to walk on his own. :)
If you need another idea, tho...you can find shoes that actually SQUEAK every time they're stepped on. I think it's a cute idea, and he might like them enough to keep on stepping!!
Good luck!

Azaera said...

That's another problem altogether. He absolutely HATES shoes and will rip them off as soon as you put them on or he'll crawl and drag his feet until they come off. This also includes throwing a tantrum until they come off. And he'd rather crawl on cement and rip up his legs than wear shoes and walk.. But it's worth a try. Maybe if I bought him some sandals instead of runners he might wear them.

Right now he has a pair of slippers, some boots that are kind of like uggs, and runners. And he hates all of them. Then again he doesn't even like socks. I can't blame him though I hate socks too. I'd run around barefoot if I could, but I'd end up stepping on glass or something with my luck.

Ashley's Mom said...

My Ashley didn't walk until she was 4 years old. The lack of vision and depth perception is a MAJOR influencing factor. But, since she started walking, she hasn't slowed down since.

And the shoes - oh yea, she HATES shoes also. She has reluctantly agreed to wear them whenever we leave the house, but the minute she walks back through the door, the shoes come off.

The ONLY shoes she has ever worn are Converse high tops. Nothing else - not the cute little sandals I bought, nor the glitterly litte dress shoes, not even Converse low tops.

But she looks so darn cute in the high tops that I don't mind!

You are a great Mom and you have a great son! He's unique and special and will walk when he decides he is ready. Heck, everyone else walks by the time they are 12-18 months old. Just who wants to be like everyone else?? Not your son and not my daughter :)