Saturday, July 3, 2010

Be The Change

In light of an event that recently happened in my personal life I have been reminded that we should be the change we want to see in others. And I've decided that I want to challenge myself to do at least one random act of kindness or good-deed each day. I know that I'm usually polite, and helpful to everyone I encounter, but I want to do more. I want to make sure that I am setting a good example for my child. He needs to learn that it is the right thing to do to help people out even if it just means stopping to hold the door for someone or offering to walk an elderly person to their car. (I've done both those things of course). I'm afraid with all the people in the world who seem to only care for themselves and laugh at the misfortune of others that my son might get the wrong idea.

I know he's still quite young, but it's never a bad thing to start early. I want to show others too, even adults, that it's still a good thing to treat people nicely and to offer help when it looks like someone could use it. On Canada day I saw a little girl crying on the street, surrounded by many people just walking by, she seemed to be all alone so I stopped and asked if she was lost. Her dad/caregiver turned around (he was at least 5-6 feet away) and put his hand out for her at this point, but I was left feeling uneasy nonetheless. It seems the little girl was having a fit I guess, and the caregiver was walking away, with his back turned to her, and there was a street full of people! It was a street festival (meaning tons of people, loud music, etc.) She was small, no more than 3 I'd say, he could have easily carried her. However he may have had his reasons for leaving her behind sitting on the pavement crying.. I just don't think I could do that as a parent personally. In a large crowd of people I want him by my side at all times.

Anyway, what kind of random good deeds have you done? Or what kind of good deeds have others done for you?

1 comment:

Jessica Crozier said...

I bumped into a parked car yesterday and left a note with my name and number. Could've just left but I'm an honest person. What a headache for the insurance, though. Ugh!!!