Wednesday, March 10, 2010

???

Wow. Everything seems to be up in the air here. Funny aside, my day yesterday started off with one of my boy kinders saying to one of the girl kinders "you can come to my house and we'll go in my room and I'll take off my pants and I'll show you my p***s". I had to quickly take him aside and explain that this was completely unacceptable. (He has some trouble with social situations). He seemed understanding of this and agreed that he could keep his private areas and conversations about them to himself. This was immediately followed by one of the other kinders coming up to me crying because there was a feather in the room. I kid you not. A feather in the room, had this little girl in tears. I had to quickly rescue her from said evil object. As you can imagine this was a set up for the kind of day I was going to have.

My boss announced at a staff meeting at 3pm yesterday (that I could not attend) that she is quitting as of today. She told me this morning. My head is still swimming. I'm not sure what is going to happen next. She says that she is done as of March 24th, two days before Spring break. She says this gives them 3 weeks to find a replacement. She said she disagrees with the way the company is being run, apparently the head office want to change staffing and run the centres with a skeleton crew. I know for a fact that this is not going to work out. Having only the minimum amount of required staff for the ratio is going to tank the centre. There will be no time to do the required cleaning and other tasks that are goverment regulated if no one is ever out of ratio.

I also know that this does not bode well for me. I do not have my qualifications yet, I am still classified as simply an assistant. Which is funny because I do the job of an ECE but get paid as a CCA. Meaning I'm doing more than I'm getting paid for. Back to the point, they are going to have only one staff during the day as required by law for ratio and I know for a fact that as of September that staff will not be me. They are already breaking regulation by not having enough ECEs, and there was one staff member who is going to be classified an ECE by next school year and she was promised an 8-4 shift when she returns to our centre in September. Meaning she will be the one doing the job I am doing right now. Where does this put me? I have no clue. Maybe they will find me another centre. Maybe not.

I think it's time to break out the resume and update it and start casting my line out there... I'm not sure yet what to do about this.. but I have to figure something out. Right now I am mostly a bundle of nerves. I am worried about the new supervisor. Will s/he be easy to work with, will they understand that I have a child with special needs and that I need time off to go to appointments and the like? Will they decide that they don't need me during the day and cut my hours down to 2 hours a day? If so I will quit, I am not going all the way out there for 2 hours a day. And then when I rewrite my resume what kind of jobs will I apply for? More childcare? Educational assistant? I just don't know yet.

Also my benefit coverage finally started this month. I just got all my package/coverage information in the mail. I went to get my eyes checked a few days ago and found that I definitely need new glasses. So you can guess of course the exact one thing that my plan does not cover. Vision care. No glasses, no eye appointments, nothing. I have more dental care than you can shake a stick at, but nothing for eyes. HELLO PEOPLE MY SON IS BLIND! Ugh. Thank you Murphy's law. I know Canada has awesome healthcare, but they don't cover vision, drugs, or dental. Along with a few other paramedical things. All of which my new plan covers except vision. I am having a rather frustrating day as you can see.

Which has been topped off by Skyler dropping his high chair tray on my toes, and then he decided he wanted to listen to some music so he turned on the stereo to a deafening volume and I had to turn it off and he was screaming his head off because obviously it hurt his ears. Sigh.. I think it's time for a little meditation and maybe once he goes to bed a nice bubble bath for mommy.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh man. That is a seriously sucky day. But I think your approach is right. Meditate, relax, and see what tomorrow brings. Your new boss/job duties may not be as bad as you fear. And you were hoping to leave soon anyway, right? Maybe things will work out in your favor.

Meanwhile, I've ordered glasses on the internet before and they were just as good as the ones I've gotten in the stores at only a fraction of the cost. Mine were like $15 including the frames. You'd still need an eye exam and prescription, but you just got the exam right? If you can find a company that will sell in Canada you'll be set.

Azaera said...

Ooh, I never thought of that.. Great idea.

Stacie said...

Wow, what a crazy day. I'm so sorry things were so crappy. I hope things work out for you and your new boss will be great.