Thursday, October 22, 2009

I Like Blind People

About two minutes later....

Sorry. Just had to share that. Anyway, our meal plan has been going well so far. I like having food in the house and a good idea of what we're eating each day. I also packed my lunch for Wednesday (I was working an eight hour day) and it was yummy and delicious! I had a ham sandwich, carrots & cucumbers with dip, and a banana. The kinders had their fun lunch (we make them a hot lunch once a week) and there was extras so I got to have some delicious macaroni and cheese (it was made from actual noodles and shredded mozzarella, not KD) and one of my coworkers brought cookies to share. So it was quite a yummy and filling lunch that day.

We've been going to swimming every Tuesday and Thursday still, and I am still loving it! It's a great time for us to spend together as a family. We all enjoy it, and Skyler is exhausted afterward! Huge bonus. Last night he didn't sleep very well at all. So I am hoping (fingers crossed, knocking on wood) that tonight he will sleep much better since we just got home from swimming.

Also I noticed on Thursday nights, the last few times we have gone that in the change room at the same time as us there are a few special needs kids with a very nice lady who must take care of them. One of these children is a blind boy. He must be about 10 or so, today while we were showering off after swimming the blind boy heard Chuck talking and asked his caregiver who the man he heard was. She said "that's a gentleman who is here with his baby, and his... partner? wife? girlfriend?" I said "wife", and then as we stepped out of the shower I approached the woman. I said "I don't mean to be rude or anything, but he is blind right?" and she confirmed. So I went on to tell her with a smile, that my son is blind as well. And we spoke for a moment. She was very friendly, and told me a little about the boy. He came over from Africa many years ago sent by Red Cross, her mother is his caregiver and he has lived with her since he came here. He woke up on Christmas day when he was younger and realized he was completely blind. He can only see light, on occasion. We spoke briefly about the CNIB and she asked if Skyler's vision was something that surgery could fix. I said no, it's the optic nerves, and she said the boy's condition was static as well since he is lacking his retinas.

It was a pleasant exchange in the locker rooms, and I'm happy that I wasn't too shy to say hello and start up a conversation with them. My favourite part was as we walked away she said to the boy "remember you asked who the man was, and I said he was here with his wife and their baby, well his baby is blind too." and the boy said "Just like me?!" very excitedly, and she said "yes just like you" and he said "That's cool. I like blind people!" haha it was just so cute. Melted my little heart.

9 comments:

smolder said...

man, i wish i could be like you and just strike up convos like that with people that i dont know. i think you have been living with the social butterfly a bit too long hehe.
I think its real cute that the little boy said that.

Stacie said...

Oh my, what a cutie patootie he is eating his sandwich! I think he likes it? haha

That is actually pretty cool that you meet new people that can relate to your situation.

Karen said...

How cool is that! I bet that was so exciting for the boy to meet a family that he has something in common with.

LuckyOnce said...

How cute. I love that the little boy was so excited.

The sandwich pictures are adorable.

Corrie Howe said...

I love the pictures and the story

Ashley's Mom said...

I love when fate brings me together with people of a like mind. The interaction sounds wonderful and good for you having the guts to strike up a conversation!

Joy said...

a touching interaction!!

Unknown said...

If you are ever in a room with a dozen or more visually impaired and blind kids getting ready to play a game called "wall ball" you will never forget it. The prep is funnier than the actual game, which is a lot like hockey.

I like blind people too.

Corrie Howe said...

I made up my own blog awards and you are the recipient of my first "Sweet Pickle Award." Pop on over and check it out if you are interested.